Learn the radiant method of Watercolor painting in this foundational, and essential workshop series. We will begin with preliminary sketching exercises and then move into exploring techniques such as: wet on wet painting, wet on dry painting, dry brush, gradated washes, variegated washes, glazing, splattering, and color mixing. We will discuss how to approach composition, tone and form, and students will be encouraged to use the medium to its full potential while perhaps combining other mediums as well, such as: gouache, ink, or acrylic. Students will receive individual guidance and practical advice at all stages of this painting process. This workshop series is a great way to challenge yourself, and build on your existing skills as a painter.
For this workshop, some experience drawing is useful but not essential. Artists of all skill levels are welcome.
How it works: This is an online class. Students are required to download the (free) Zoom App before class time. Once you register, I will e-mail you with a booking confirmation and supply you with a link to join the class on your App.
Materials: Art supplies are NOT included in the online class fee. To view the full materials list for this class, please CLICK HERE. All art materials are readily available online.
• Class 1 meets Online, Sundays
from 3pm - 5pm EST
• Class 2 meets Online, Mondays
from 3pm - 5pm EST
Each session is 2 hours in length
$50 per session
or full 3 session workshop for $112
Sunday, August 16th/ Monday, August 17th:
• Explore the fundamentals of watercolor application by painting a simple fruit still life based on photo reference
• Learn how to sketch out a simple still life composition
• Discover how to capture light & layers of transparency
• Learn how to mix colors
• Find out how to apply techniques, such as: wet on wet, and wet on dry, and glazing
Sunday, August 23rd/ Monday, August 24th:
• Find the joy in painting beautiful birds and botanicals from photo reference using traditional watercolor techniques
• Explore how to use values to describe form, and how to effectively build them through layering
• Discover how to create texture through specific brush stroke application
Sunday, August 30th/ Monday, August 31st:
• Learn how to sketch out and paint a landscape or cityscape in watercolor based on a photo reference
• Explore how to convey depth through the use of color
• Discover how to render a scene using one point perspective
• Learn how to use variegated washes to achieve dramatic skies and landscapes